Almost every day, we hear reports about cybercriminals hacking into netizen’s accounts and breaching personal data. The problem of online identity theft too has increased manifolds in the past few years. The cases of hackers getting access to social media users’ accounts are no longer rare cases.
Among all social media accounts, Facebook is the most important one for the most users. With the amount of information, that many of us share on the platform it is important to ensure its safety. Here, Facebook too on its part has several tools to help users safeguard their accounts.
There are several ways to help users detect any suspicious activity witnessed in their accounts. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how users can keep their accounts safe:
1) Open Facebook and click on the arrow icon on the top right corner
2) Click on Settings
3) Click on the Security and login on the left, just below General
4) Here you can see the complete log of gadgets that you have used to login into your Facebook account as well as the date and time. The list is comprehensive as it has details of all the various devices through which you have logged-in, starting from the day you opened your Facebook account.
5) If there is a device that you don’t recognize, chances are that your account may have been hacked. For those devices, click on the three-dot icon on the right side of every device and you will find a ‘Not You?’ option.
6) After this, Facebook will ask you to Secure Account and will show a detailed guide with various options that you can use to further strengthen the security of your account.
Against every device, you will find an option to log out. Also, at the end of t he list, there’s an option to log out of all sessions together at the same time.
To further secure your Facebook account, you can go for two-factor authentication. This works as same as it another accounts like Gmail and Twitter. Once enabled, you will get an SMS on your mobile phone that will then be required whenever you login from a new device. Also, you can choose your trusted contacts that can help you unlock your account if it ever gets hacked. Besides this, you can enable alerts if anyone logs in from a device or browser you don’t usually use. This can be in the form of a notification, a message on the messenger app or even an email on your registered email ID.